I recently started working with Aptana Studio after spending years on Dreamweaver : one can only find advantages for such a migration. Aptana Studio, distributed freely, stands the comparison and comes with additional features worth trying. Here I write down some quick elements of comparison.
- both handle righ clik FTP uploading : Aptana via the synchronisation menu and Dreamweaver via the profile configuration. I have found that my dreamweaver version (v8) sometimes forget FTP user and password configuration : this last bug was actually my main reason for trying out APTANA studio !!
- XML validation : the default DTD validation parser in Aptana seems to have a bug : won't find the declared DTD for a XML file that stands in the same folder ...
- PHP function browser : the PHP PDT eclipse extension works in Aptana and delivers wonderful class and function browser. Very useful !
- Project wide search : Aptana allows you to work while it's searching, while Dreamweaver (v8) freeezes until it has found all occurences. But aptana doesn't have multi line search.
- Memory usage (Windows XP) : I compared both softwares executing with one file open. On this point Dreamweaver has an advantage. If you can't afford heavy JAVA memory usage (250 Mb) for Aptana, then you might think of lighter Dreamweaver (50Mb).