Obviously, the best way to develop iphone apps is to use the native development kit. But alternative tools offer possibilities that expand beyond the iphone and can offer multi device compatibility.
- Mobincube is hosted service, has a free lite version, creates apps for iphone and java code for java compatible phones, blackberry, android apps
- Same for Appcelerator, distributor of the titanium for mobile development tool that enables developers with HTML skills to implement IPhone specific UI
- Swebapps distribute pre defined iphone app template
- JQtouch is a jquery plugin that implements browser based web based applications
- OPA is a single development platform and language that replaces PHP / MYSQL for web based applications
More examples (13) on readwriteweb